Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Other Robyn

My avid readers know that I discover much of my new music through nonconventional media. Films, television shows, commercials, coffee shops and more, my Shazam app works harder than the elastic on my leggings post-Thanksgiving meal. And movie trailers are no exception. 

While researching new releases last night, I was excited to see an extended trailer for Carey Mulligan's new release Suffragette (already in theaters) featuring a cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide." Yes, this track has been done too many times to count, covered by everyone from Dixie Chicks to The Smashing Pumpkins. But this one is different.

The best comparison I have to Robyn Sherwell is Imogen Heap. She's dark, breathy, and brooding. Her original tracks are similar to her rendition of "Landslide" -- showcasing the tone of her voice with minimal acoustics. Even her most upbeat and percussion-heavy song, "Islander," highlights her chilling harmonies. 

So far, she has just 4 tracks on an EP released this past March (available on iTunes). But if they're any indication of what's to come, move over Swedish Robyn. I have a feeling we're going to be seeing a lot more of this one in the near future.

Her EP can be found on Spotify here. Below you'll also find the Suffragette trailer and "Islander." 



No comments:

Post a Comment